Followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Monday, July 5, 2010

Breakfasts Around The World

Bear with me pallies if you're tired of another one of my 'around the world' posts. I just can't shake off this fascination of what people eat around the globe.

Check out these breakfast staples.

VIETNAM

Pho (pronounced "fuh") is soup with rice or wheat based noodles that's flavored with a meat such as chicken, pork or beef.

MEXICO

Huevos motuleƱos - The dish is made with eggs on tortillas with black beans and cheese, often with other ingredients such as ham, peas, plantains, and salsa picante

INDONESIA

Nasi Goreng - translates as "Fried Rice" in Malay and Indonesian .The main ingredients for nasi goreng include pre-cooked rice, soy sauce, garlic, shallot and some spring onions for garnishing.

MOROCCO

Tagine - A slow-cooked stew which is named after the special pot in which it is cooked. Braised at low temperature, the stew consists of meat (usually lamb) and a variety of herbs and seasonings

BELGIUM

Surprisingly, Belgians do not eat their most famous food, Belgian waffles for breakfast! Breakfast in Belgium consists of breads, toasted or untoasted, with several marmalades, jams, and nut spreads etc.

SINGAPORE

Kaya Toast - Singapore's national breakfast. Essentially, Kaya Toast is just kaya and butter spread on two pieces of toasted bread. Kaya is made of eggs, sugar and coconut milk and flavored with pandan. The Pandan Leaf comes from the Screwpine Tree, which can be found in tropical areas of Asia and Europe. The plant has many uses.

UK

An English breakfast - the quintessential breakfast the world over.
Key components include: bacon, sausages, black pudding, eggs, tomatoes, baked beans, mushrooms potatoes, bread etc.

MYANMAR (formerly known as Burma)

Mohinga - rice vermicelli in fish soup and considered by many to be the national dish of Myanmar.

CHINA

Congee and youtiau (Chinese crullers) - Many Chinese begin their day with a warm bowl of congee, a watery rice gruel that bears a marked resemblance to porridge. Youtiau is dipped into the warm congee.

TURKEY

Menemen - a dish made of eggs, tomatoes, onions and green peppers

15 comments:

  1. I'm either a Mexican or Turkish at heart. Who knew.

    What?! Love these around the world eats...keep 'em coming as far as I'm concerned.

    Haupi
    http://hauplight.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look how many countries have meat in their breakfast! Yikes. I don't typically eat meat in the morning--just for dinner. Where is the oatmeal???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even though i'm a vegetarian i'd have to say Morocco's dish is looking pretty good! But we do love Mexican food!!
    Please Please do The United States next time- I'm so interested to see what you write :) probably silly- I know lol

    KareyEllen
    KareyEllenDesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your "breakfasts around the world" post! I also find it fascinating to think about what people eat around the world. The photos really help!

    http://LivingMontessoriNow.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not that was interesting as well as informative. I thought everyone was eating turkey sausage, eggs, grits and pancakes like me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe that those are breakfast plates. They resemble lunch or dinner. When I think of breakfast, I think of sausage, pancakes and eggs. I'd never get tired of your around the world posts. They are so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmmm..yummy! The Kaya toast doesn't look too appealing until I read the ingredients. I love pandan flavor and wow, this bread is flavored with coconut and pandan? Perfect combo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a cruel post for a pregnant woman...now I am hungry and craving Pho and its 8 am ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. These make me feel full just looking at them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My family loves Pho, but I don't think they've ever eaten it for breakfast!

    My fave is the UK!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an interesting post! Thanks for stopping by A Little Book Nook. I am following you now....I hope you will follow me too. :)

    Angie
    www.alittlebooknook.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the moroccan dish for the couscous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your Around the World posts so keep them coming!
    Mmmm I could really use some Congee with Yautiu (or as we call the Yaitiu...fried ghosts). Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the Around the World posts because they are interesting. I would love to try the Belgian Waffles for breakfast please! They are huge and look sooo GOOD!

    Gina
    motherof1princessand2princes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! The Mexican looks yummy! In the Philippines, we usually have fried rice, tomatoes, and dried fish dipped in vinegar :)

    ReplyDelete